Remember when there was a LOT of attention on Taco Bell for exactly what WAS in the "meat" they put in our tacos?
Here is their official answer:
At Taco Bell, providing you and your friends with delicious food at great value is our #1 priority. We also go to great lengths to be open about the ingredients we use, and want you to know the truth, the companys website stated.The seasoned beef found in its tacos, burritos and other menu items is 88 [percent] Premium Beef and 12 [percent] Signature Recipe.
Heres a break down of just a few ingredients in Taco Bells 12 percent:
- Cellulose: Cellulose is a safe carbohydrate found in the cell walls of plants and helps with water and oil binding. Youll find it in everything from cheese and vitamins to bread and pasta.
- Trehalose: Its a naturally occurring sugar that we use to improve the taste of our seasoned beef.
- Potassium chloride: Well, potassium chloride is a common salt substitute used in the food industry. We actually used it to help reduce the amount of salt used in our seasoned beef recipe, which is part of our ongoing effort to reduce sodium levels in our ingredients while still delivering the same great taste you expect from us.
- Maltodextrin: It sounds weird, but its actually a form of mildly sweet sugar we use to balance the flavor. You may have had it the last time you had a natural soda.
- Sodium phosphates: We use them to help make sure our seasoned beef is the right texture. Theyre also commonly found in deli items, cheeses, coffee drinks and desserts.