MILWAUKEE, Wis. (WTAQ) - A fire broke out Monday in Wisconsin’s main office of the Internal Revenue Service.
Milwaukee officials said the fire started in a fourth floor electrical room, and firefighters had to clear heavy smoke between the 4th and 8th floors. No one was hurt. A dollar estimate of the damage was not immediately available.
The downtown building has Kaplan University on the ground floor. The IRS takes up the other 7 floors. Deputy Fire Chief Randall Zingler said a sprinkler system was pouring water on the fire when units arrived. He said it spread through an electric conduit to the 5th and 6th floors – but it was brought under control very quickly.