WAUSAU, Wis. (WTAQ) - A butcher shop in Wausau is back in business, after a small outbreak of E-coli poisoning came and went.
Four people got sick after eating wild game that was processed at the Zillman Meat Market, and one person was hospitalized for a short time.
Judy Burrows of the Marathon County Health Department said there have been no new reports of illnesses since the mini-outbreak was made public last week. She said workers sanitized food surfaces at the shop – and it’s been given the okay to resume making sausage and other smoked foods.
The department took a close look at the ready to eat smoked products made at Zillman’s from September 30th through November 13th.
The health department still urges folks not to eat those items – but the market’s fresh meat has been deemed safe as long as it’s properly cooked.