WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAU) – A house fire in Wausau last night started when an automotive treble lamp overheated in a basement utility room, the fire marshal said today, ruling the cause as accidental.
Dave DeSantis said the lamp was plugged into an outlet and being used as an alternative light source at the home on the 1500 block of North 1st Avenue. The fire was so hot it melted water pipes, which burst and helped contain the fire.
No one was home at the time.
Damage was contained to the basement, though the house sustained smoke damage.