BURLINGTON, WI (WTAQ) - The next court hearing is August 27th in a wrongful death suit filed by the mother of a woman who died while choking on a bagel at an assisted living center in Burlington.
Linda Berger recently sued the Wanda Frogg Villa-Meadowhaven home, accusing the owner and others of negligence.
49-year-old Kelly Jorgenson was brain damaged since birth. Her mother said she wasn’t supposed to eat without supervision, so her food wouldn’t go down too quickly.
Berger said it’s exactly what happened when Jorgenson was left unsupervised, rapidly ate bagels and peanut butter, and then ran to her room where she collapsed. Berger’s attorney said Jorgenson died from a lack of oxygen to her brain, and he’s suing for unspecified damages.
In its response, the Wanda Frogg Villa center denied the allegations and filed a request to drop the lawsuit.
The defendants in Berger’s lawsuit include U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, the state Department of Health Services, the Homes for Independent Living, Oconomowoc Residential Programs, and several insurance companies.