NEKOOSA, WI (WSAU) - A high school student was taken into custody yesterday after Nekoosa High School was locked down for a possible weapons threat. So far, there’s no comment on why the student was arrested, since a search of the building and grounds found no weapon.
All was clear by late afternoon, and the Monday night band concert went on as planned. Classes are being held as usual today.
Superintendent Terry Whitmore says a student reported to staff members during the lunch period that there might be a weapon in the high school. At that point, Whitmore says the lockdown was initiated to keep students and staff safe. "Working with Nekoosa Police Department, it was determined that the building needed to be searched before resuming normal operations. We quickly notified parents of the threat, and we also shared with them the procedures we were going to use for student dismissal. We did release students early."
Students that drove to school were released on their own, and those that needed to ride the buses were kept for about an hour at a nearby business facility. Whitmore says the students were very cooperative and helpful during the incident, saying the emergency planning and practice drills payed off.
Only the high school was under lockdown. The other facilities in the district were not affected.